Indian Railways, the most preferred mode of transportation for millions of Indians. The majority of people choose to travel via train for its convenience, cost-effectiveness, and reach to even remote locations. We are all aware that over 5.2 million people used this mode when world was in normal mode. However, inter-state and inter-city travel got hugely impacted in the last few months due to the coronavirus scare amidst masses.
Now, when after almost 4 months of country-wide lockdown, Indian Railways have resumed trains on a limited basis, loads of people are in queue to move from one part of the country to another. But this is also the time to be extra cautious to avoid being infected. Hence, RailRecipe has thoughtfully curated a list of safety and hygiene tips, especially for train travelers. Not to miss, we had laid updated guidelines to keep a watch on during coronavirus pandemic.
Here’s a comprehensive guide for safer train journeys during coronavirus pandemic:
- Avoid currency exchange or visiting your nearest reservation center. Try and book tickets online
- Wear an N-95 mask and clinically approved gloves at all times during your journey. It is also advisable to carry spare disposable masks and gloves. Avoid touching random surfaces.
- Bring your own bed cover in a well-sanitized bag after use. Else, Railway is also issuing the same on payment of some charges. Don’t forget to check it out on IRCTC website.
- Keep important documents and wallet in a sealed bag. For tickets, avoid printouts and carry it in your smartphone itself. Make sure you have your ID documents in your digital locker, which can be shown when demanded by railway personnel.
- Do not forget essentials like spare plastic pouches, hand sanitizer, water bottle, paper soap, some snacks, comfortable footwear, and disposable napkins or towels. Keeping a good amount of safety gear can help you stay safer during such travel.
- Maintain a safe distance (at least 6-feet) from fellow passengers and station staff. Even if you are in the queue or on your berth, try and maintain this social distancing norm always.
- Once you find your berth, clean it with an alcohol-based sanitizer. Apply it on other areas as well which you may come in contact with like the berth handles and ladder (if you’re allotted the upper berth). Although Indian Railways is in the process of adding Titanium di-oxide coating on these surfaces as per recently announced modifications, one needs to follow these safety procedures.
- Wash hands frequently and avoids touching your eyes, nose and mouth. This is the most vital tip.
- Forbid sharing your seat/berth with fellow passengers.
- Neither share your food with anyone nor eat anyone’s offerings. You may order food online in trains from approved services providers.
- Avoid purchasing snacks or any other item from the train station.
- In case you buy something, either make online payment or ask the vendor to place the change in a plastic bag. Use sanitizer to decontaminate the wrapper or bottle of the purchased item before consuming it.
- Be extremely cautious while using toilets and avoid touching anything especially after washing your hands with soap.
- Sanitize your hand immediately after touching the handrail, coach door handle, toilet door, etc.
- Be patient and do not hurry while boarding or de-boarding the train as it may lead to coming in contact with other passengers.
- Handle the luggage without making any direct contact with it (wear gloves while handling your bags).
- Do not discard masks, gloves, or other trash at the station or outside it. Carefully place them in a sealed bag and dump in a closed dustbin.
- As soon as you reach your hotel, change your clothes and footwear, and take a hot shower.
- Follow the guidelines laid down by MOHFW for safety such as drinking warm water and Ayush approved preparations.
- Upon reaching your destination, try to isolate yourself for one week from elderly loved ones and kids. Include health supplements in your diet.
If you follow the guidelines laid down above, you can rest assured of not getting infected and also stay positive during travel. Stay updated for the latest updates on trends related to train travel and travel tips by subscribing to our blog. Do you have any added suggestion, share with us in comments below.