Indian Railways has its country railway system operated by the Railways Ministry. Indian Railways manages the 4th largest train network in the world by size, with a track length of 1,50,368 kilometre as of January 2021. Indian Railways routes are electrified with 25 KV AC electric traction while 53% of them are multi-tracked. Indian Railway runs more than 22,000 passenger trains daily, on both long-distance and suburban routes, from 8,349 stations across India. The most common types run at an average speed of 58.6 KMPH.
What do you know about the 5 biggest railway stations in Indian Railways? Where millions of people come and go every day and more than 22,000 trains cross by every day. There are many railway stations in India that have some special things. There are at least 8000 railway stations in the Indian railway network. But there are some railway stations that you might be shocked to know about. Today, we are going to talk about the 5 biggest railway stations in India.
1. Howrah Junction (Station Code: HWH) Railway Station:
The oldest and largest railway station is Howrah Junction in India. Howrah railway station in Kolkata city has stood like, since the British times. Before the Covid-19, about 15 lakh passengers used to come here every day. Howrah railway station is one of the busiest railway stations in India. Howrah railway station is called the Pride of Kolkata. Howrah railway station has a total of 25 railway tracks and 22 platforms. You can enter with your private or commercial vehicle (car, Bike) inside the railway platforms. Howrah Junction has triple electric line tracks. There are 360 passenger trains cross daily from Howrah Junction, and a total of 133 trains originating from Howrah station.
Most Important Train List of Howrah Junction:-
- 02305 – Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani Express (Via Patna)
- 02301 – Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani Express (Via Gaya)
- 02277 – Howrah-Puri Shatabdi Express
- 02023 – Howrah-Patna Jan Shatabdi Express
- 02262 – Howrah – Mumbai CSMT AC Duronto Express
- 02222 – Howrah-Pune AC Duronto Express
- 02273 – Howrah-New Delhi Duronto Express
- 02245 – Howrah-Yesvantpur Duronto Express
- 02369 – Kumbh Express
- 02311 – Kalka Mail Express
Famous visiting places near Howrah Junction, Kolkata: Howrah Bridge, Victoria Memorial, Science City Kolkata, Birla Mandir Kolkata, Eden Gardens (Cricket Stadium).
2. Sealdah (Station Code: SDAH) Railway Station:-
The Sealdah Railway Station, Kolkata, West Bengal is the 2nd largest railway station in India. Millions of passengers come here every day, and Sealdah Railway Station is also presenting since the British times. Sealdah Railway Station has been around 158 years since its inception and more than 12 lakh train passengers crossing here every day. However, despite being such a busy railway station, Sealdah Railway Station is not as popular as Howrah Junction. There are 320 passenger trains cross daily from Sealdah Railway Station, and a total of 39 trains originating from Sealdah Railway Station. Sealdah Railway Station having a total of 27 railway tracks and 21 platforms.
Most Important Train List of Sealdah Railway Station:-
- 02329 – Sampark Kranti Express
- 02379 – Jalianwala Bagh Express
- 02317 – Sealdah-Jammu Tawi Humsafar Express
- 02313 – Sealdah-New Delhi Rajdhani Express
- 02987 – Ajmer-Sealdah Superfast Express
Famous visiting places near Sealdah Station, Kolkata: Fort William Kolkata, Belur Math, Birla Planetarium, Rabindra Sarovar, Eco-Tourism Park, Nicco Park, Prinsep Ghat, Babur Haat, Hooghly Riverfront, Mohunbagan Stadium.
3. Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Station Code: CSTM) Railway Station:-
The earlier Victoria Terminus, which has now become the Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, is one of the most talked-about railway stations in India. There are many reasons for Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station has been seen in many films and it looks like a palace to be seen from outside. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus not only runs Intrastate and Intercity trains but also runs Mumbai Local from here. You can see the crowd at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station all the time and even after the Covid19 period, there is a movement of train passengers in the same way. There are 30 passenger trains cross daily from Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Railway Station having a total of 20 railway tracks and 18 platforms.
Famous visiting places near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Station, Mumbai: Gateway of India, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Red Carpet Wax Museum, Haji Ali Dargah, Siddhivinayak Temple, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, Shri Mahalakshmi Temple, Juhu Beach, Mumbai Marine Drive, Versova Beach, Madh Island, Bandra-Worli Sea Link, Mumbai Film City, Hakone Entertainment Centre, Snow World, Wankhede Cricket Stadium, National Gallery Of Modern Art.
4. New Delhi (Station Code: NDLS) Railway Station:-
New Delhi Railway Station is the busiest railway station in North India. The frequency and train passenger movements of trains are all very much at New Delhi station. Every day around 400 trains used to pass from here before the covid-19. Not only this, but New Delhi Railway Station is also the highest-grossing railway station. So, you may like the New Delhi Railway Station. One of the wings of the New Delhi Railway Station also leads to the tracks of the Delhi Metro which makes it even more special. New Delhi Railway Station is also much modernized. There are 270 passenger trains cross daily from New Delhi Railway Station, and a total of 116 trains originating from New Delhi station. New Delhi Railway Station having a total of 18 railway tracks and 16 platforms.
Most Important Train List of New Delhi Railway Station:-
- 20506 – New Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express (Via Barauni)
- 20504 – New Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express (Via Samastipur)
- 02442 – New Delhi-Bilaspur Rajdhani Express
- 20840 – New Delhi-Ranchi Rajdhani Express (Via Bokaro Steel City)
- 02454 – New Delhi-Ranchi Rajdhani Express (Via Daltonganj)
- 02424 – New Delhi-Dibrugarh Town Rajdhani Express
- 02314 – New Delhi-Sealdah Rajdhani Express
- 02952 – New Delhi-Mumbai Central Rajdhani Express
- 02302 – New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani Express(Via Gaya)
- 02306 – New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani Express(Via Patna)
- 22812 – New Delhi-Bhubaneshwar Rajdhani Express(Via Adra)
- 22824 – New Delhi-Bhubaneshwar Rajdhani Express(Via Tatanagar)
- 20818 – New Delhi-Bhubaneshwar Rajdhani Express(Via Sambalpur City)
- 02310 – New Delhi-Rajendra Nagar Terminal Rajdhani Express
- 02958 – Swarna Jayanti Rajdhani Express
- 02425 – New Delhi-Jammu Tawi Rajdhani Express
Famous visiting places near New Delhi Railway Station: India Gate, Red Fort, Humayun’s Tomb, Qutub Minar, Hauz Khas, Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple, Jantar Mantar, Chandni Chowk, Jama Masjid, Rashtrapati Bhawan, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Connaught Place, Kingdom of Dreams, Dilli Haat, The National Rail Museum, The National Rail Museum, Feroz Shah Kotla Fort, The Tomb of Safdarjung, ISKCON Temple, Pragati Maidan, Hazrat Nizamuddin Dargah, National Museum, Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum, National Gallery of Modern Art, The National Zoological Park, Tughlaqabad Fort, Murthal, Rajghat, Rajpath, Sulabh International Museum of Toilets, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, Chhatarpur Mandir, Jhandewalan Hanuman Temple, Kiran Nadar Museum of Art(KNMA).
5. Chennai Central (Station Code: MAS) Railway Station:-
Chennai Central railway station is a huge railway station and the main railway station of Chennai city. Chennai Central connects Chennai to Kolkata, New Delhi, Mumbai, etc. About 5 million train passenger use Chennai Central station every day. Chennai Central Railway Station is one of the busiest railway stations in India. The structure of Chennai Central railway station is also old-fashioned and from here you will get some train for every part of India. There are 157 passenger trains cross daily from Chennai Central Railway Station, and a total of 72 trains originating from Chennai Central station. Chennai Central Railway Station having a total of 30 railway tracks and 12 platforms.
Most Important Train List of Chennai Central Railway Station:-
- 06031 – Andaman Express
- 06093 – Gomti Sagar Express
- 06081 – MGR Chennai Central-Mysuru Shatabdi Special
- 02611 – MGR Chennai Central-Hazrat Nizamuddin Garib Rath Express
- 02433 – MGR Chennai Central-Hazrat Nizamuddin Rajdhani Express
- 02675 – Kovai Covid – 19 Special Train
- 02269 – MGR Chennai Central-Hazrat Nizamuddin Duronto Express
- 06075 – MGR Chennai Central-KSR Bengaluru AC Double Decker Covid-19 Special
- 02808 – MGR Chennai Central-Santragachi COVID- 19 AC SF Special
- 02164 – MGR Chennai Central-Mumbai LTT SF Festival Special
- 02615 – Grand Trunk (GT) SF Special
- 02603 – MGR Chennai Central – Hyderabad SF Covid – 19 Special
Famous visiting places near Chennai Central Railway Station: Marina Beach, Mahabalipuram, Fort St. George, Thousand Lights Mosque, Valluvar Kottam, Elliot’s Beach, Government Museum, Guindy National Park, Kapaleeshwar Temple, Marundeeswarar Temple, Connemara Public Library, Mylapore, Vellankani Shrine, Royapuram Fishing Harbour, San Thome Church, Birla Planetarium, Nettukuppam, Vadapalani Murugan Temple, Ashtalakshmi Temple.
The Indian Railways is the power, and heart of Indian tourism. So, if you are making a plan to journey with Indian railways. One can enjoy now healthy, tasty, and favourite restaurant’s food in train journey with the RailRecipe website. RailRecipe always delivers hot & fresh khana in train in quick session. Indian Railways passengers can now order food online during the train trip via RailRecipe Mobile Application or call at 8448440386.
If you like this blog, then please Share, Subscribe and Stay connected with RailRecipe Blog to read Indian Railways News, Indian Railways Updates, Travel, Food, and Famous journey blogs.